Sunday, November 19, 2006

It's a Colorful Life

This is a wonderfully colorful meme I stole from Bee, who snagged it from Susannah, who borrowed it from Vesper, who...oh, never mind. You can follow the trail yourself if you like. 1. Closest red thing to you? My hair? Or is my hair more orange than red? If so, then it would be the baby-sized pair of red velvet shoes hanging on my bulletin board. They were a gift from my friend Laume. 2. Has anyone ever cheated on you in a relationship? I think so, but I never had proof. The person in question said that "nothing happened" with the slutbag other woman until after we broke up, but I have good reason to believe otherwise. Oh well, it was a long time ago. (I must stress here that I am talking about an old boyfriend, not my husband) 3. Last thing to make you angry? A dangerously incompetent driver on a narrow, curvy, hilly road. Yep, road rage, baby! 4. Are you a fan of romance? Ummm, yeah, sometimes (Deb says somewhat hesitantly). It kind of depends on what we're calling "romance" and how the person involved pulls it off. I'm a bit too cynical to throw myself into it no questions asked, but under some circumstances I'm open to being swept off my feet with gestures grand or small. :-) 5. Have you ever been in love? Yep. Have been and am. 6. Do you have a temper? I think everyone has a temper, the question is what kind. I'm generally pretty even-tempered and don't get much more than just a little snarky or irritable over most things. I try to choose my battles. But on the rare occasions when I really DO lose my temper, it's LOST. Gone. We're talking nuclear blast and all that's left is to clear the rubble. (I'm glad it doesn't happen often.) 1. Closest green thing to you? A lime green wall. 2. Do you care about the environment? Yes (Does anyone ever say no to this question? Because sheeeeeeesh! If they do, they should be immediately relocated to live in the middle of a land fill or something. I'm just sayin'...) 3. Are you jealous of anyone right now? No. A lot of people use the words "jealousy" and "envy" interchangeably, but they aren't the same thing. I'm very rarely jealous, but I have a tendency to sometimes be envious of others and I really don't want to be. It's something I work to try to change. (And I think I have improved in that area over the years.) 4. Are you a lucky person? Yes 5. Do you always want what you can't have? Sometimes (see above re: envy!) but not always. 6. Are you Irish? I'm American. But some of my ancestors were Irish. :-) 1. Closest purple thing to you? MurpleMaid, the zaftig purple-clothed mermaid that was a gift from my friend Morven. 2. Like being treated to expensive things? Sometimes....maybe. This is kind of like the romance question - it depends on who's doing the treating and how expensive we're talking and why I think they're doing it. 3. Do you like mysterious things? I like mystery novels and I like puzzles, that sort of thing. I'm fascinated by the mysteries of the Universe and all we don't yet understand. I don't, however, like being around people who are extremely secretive and create mystery around themselves where there doesn't need to be any. I figure if someone is TRULY mysterious, their casual acquaintances should never suspect a thing. If someone feels the need to go around wearing mystery like a black cloak, I figure they're a poser. 4. Favourite type of chocolate? Almost anything not too sweet, which generally means dark, but sometimes milk is good too. 5. Ever met any royalty? Nope. Not unless they were in disguise or something! 6. Are you creative? Yes. I wish I was more original, but I'll go as far as saying I believe I'm reasonably creative. 7. Are you lonely? Sometimes. I find it hard to imagine that there's anyone in the world who isn't lonely now and then. A person can be lonely in a crowd. 1. Closest blue thing to you? Most of what I'm wearing - my shirt, my jeans, my socks, the stones in my earrings and in the ring on my right hand. Also my eyes. 2. Are you good at calming people down? Yes, I think so. 3. Do you like the ocean? LOVE it! Love the way it looks, the way it sounds, the way it smells. 4. What was the last thing that made you cry? Oh, I shed tears here and there over anything - songs, TV shows, blog posts. But the last time I cried - REALLY cried, not just got a little teary-eyed - was last weekend when I was feeling down about how much I still miss my mom. 5. Are you a logical thinker? I can be. I'm really good at those logic puzzles where it gives you little dibs and dabs of information and you have to sort it all out and figure out who lives in what house and drives what sort of car and works at what job and so on. But in my daily life I rely more on intuition than logic. My heart thinks faster than my head. 6. Can you sleep easily? No. I'm not a very good sleeper at all. 7. Do you prefer the beach or the woods? I can't choose. I just can't. They both feed my soul. I want a place where woods run down almost to the beach. :-) 1. Closest yellow thing to you? A bright yellow picture frame. 2. The happiest time(s) of your life? I don't know. I never know what to say when that question comes up. I've had lots of happy times, but don't want to single one out as THE happiest. 3. Favourite holiday? Does this mean holiday like Christmas, Easter, etc? (That's how Vesper answered it) Or holiday like trip? (That's how Susannah and Bee answered it.) If it means the former, I'd probably say Christmas, although I'm not quite the Christmas nut I was when I was younger. If it means the latter, then probably the trip we took to Hawaii in 2002. 4. Are you a coward? I don't think so. Not that I can claim I've never done anything cowardly, because of course I have. But I don't think I'm a coward overall. 5. Do you burn or tan? Burn. Sigh. (Although I try not to do either anymore!!) 6. Do you want children? No. Although I love spoiling the kids of family and friends! 7. What makes you happy? Being with people I love, reading a wonderful story, creating something I'm proud of, singing, looking at beautiful scenery, having adventures. 1. Closest pink thing to you? A little cloth box created by Diane D. 2. Do you like sweet things? Oh yeah. Way, WAY more than I wish I did. 3. Like play-fighting? Not so much. I have a low pain threshold and bruise easily and what other people think is "playing" often truly hurts me, and I'm not into pain. 4. Are you sensitive? Oh yeah. Again, way, WAY more than I should be. That's another of those areas I've been working on over the years and I HAVE improved, but I still take things too personally. 5. Do you like punk music? I'm not a huge fan, but some of it is good. 6. What is your favourite flower? I don't have a single favorite, but I like anything that's old-fashioned and super-fragrant - daffodils, lilacs, viburnum, peonies, roses, lilies...stuff like that. 7. Does someone have a crush on you? I have no idea. There are a few people here and there who act a bit flirty with me, but for all I know they may act flirty with everyone. 1. Closest orange thing to you? The background of a postcard Julie sent me from her trip to Glastonbury last year. 2. Do you like to burn things? Sometimes, I guess. But it isn't a big turn-on for me. 3. Dress up for Halloween? Dressing up for Halloween is one of those things I think sounds fun in theory, but in practice I can rarely be bothered with it. I'd rather take photos of other people's costumes! :-) 4. Are you usually a warm-hearted person? Yes, I think so. 5. Do you prefer the single life or the security of a relationship? I like the security of a relationship that allows me to be myself and pursue my own path from within that relationship. 6. What would your super power be? Ooooh....dilemma. I've always answered "flight" to this question, but then I saw Bee's answer "to heal people" and that's really, really good. Hhhmmm.... Maybe I could heal people by flying?? :-) 1. Closest white thing to you? The pages of a notebook I keep by the 'puter. 2. Would you say you're innocent? No. And I don't mean that in a bad way, but c'mon y'all...I'm 44 years old. Anyone who can live for 44 years on this earth and still claim to be innocent is a better person than I am. 3. Always try to keep the peace? No. I prefer peaceful surroundings and everyone getting along. I'm not an agitator or instigator. But I won't *always* try to keep the peace. Sometimes it does more harm than good. 4. How do you imagine your wedding? In the past. Hehehe. It was very nice, but if I had it to do over again, I'd want to skip the whole church wedding thing. I'd want to elope and get married on a beach at sunset. 5. Do you like to play in the snow? NO. Snow is a four-letter word. I like to take photographs of it - briefly - then I want it to melt and go away. 6. Are you afraid of going to the doctors or dentist? I'm not afraid of going to the doctor, although I find doing so annoying, but the dentist freaks me out. I'd rather have a pelvic exam than a dental exam. Seriously. 1. Closest black thing to you? Everything I'm wearing that isn't blue - my bra, undies, shoes. Also my watchband. 2. Ever enjoy hurting people? No. 3. Are you sophisticated or silly? Gee, I wonder....yeah, I'm going to have to go with silly on this one. 4. Do you have a lot of secrets? Some I guess, but I wouldn't say many. 5. What is your favourite colour(s)? It's easier to say what colors I don't like and that would be the dunduggity ones - gray, wimpy shades of pink, dingy shades of brown. I like pretty much all the rest. 6. Does the colour you wear affect your mood? My answer is the same as Bee's and Susannah's - it's the other way around for me. My mood affects what color I choose to wear. If you decide to use the famous Red Shoe Ramblings Self-Serve Meme Tagging System (patent pending...NOT), please let me know in comments so I can come see your answers, 'k? Thanks! Here's a snapshot of a fire we had the other night because a) it was pretty and I want to share it with all of you, and b) you can find pretty much all the colors mentioned in the meme in this one photo: (Can you find me in there? Twice even??) And here, for today's DAT is an extremely "messed with" version of that same photo. This one is clickable if you want to see it larger. "Home Fires in Neon"