Monday, November 13, 2006

Do You See What I See?

Remember a few months ago when I reluctantly decided to give up on wearing contacts and go back to wearing glasses full time? You don't? Yeah, I'm a little fuzzy on exactly when it happened too and I don't feel like digging through the archives, so I'm not going to be linking to a former post. You'll just have to trust me on this one. The thing is, my current glasses are old and scratched, I don't think the prescription is quite right anymore, and I don't like the way they look. So it's time - past time really - to make an appointment for an eye exam and then order some new ones. But now that I'm not wearing contacts anymore, I can't really SEE what I look like in blank frames well enough to choose new glasses. Make sense? Sure it does! So here's my ingenious solution. The last time I went to a certain megahuge discount store which shall remain nameless, but it rhymes with Blooper Ball-Fart, and yeah I know all the bad things about Blooper Ball-Fart and why I shouldn't go there, but sometimes I DO, ok? Ok. If it helps at all, I tend to feel bad about it after. Ahem. Anyway, last time I went to BB-F I took my little pocket camera with me and zoomed through their optical shop and yanked a bunch of frames off the display and took "arms stretched out" photos of myself so I could see how different styles and colors would look. Clever, yes? I thought so, but I'm not sure the guy working there agreed. BB-F WorkerDude: "Can I help you ma'am?" Me (with a big smile): "No thanks! I need new glasses, but I don't have an appointment. I want to see how I'd look in them before I order any and I can't see how I look in glasses unless I'm already, you know...WEARING glasses, so I'm taking a bunch of photos of myself in different frames so I can look at them on the computer later and post them on the internet and show my friends and then decide what to buy." BB-F WD (looking a little dazed): :::crickets chirp::: SO...how about taking a look and telling me what you think? In a perfect world, I'd like to get two pairs of glasses, although depending on the cost that may not happen. I may have to get one pair and hope to swing another pair through ye olde budgette in a few months or a year. But let's say for a moment that the clouds will part and the sun will shine and I'll have a positive plague of money cluttering up my bank account and get to buy two. In that case, I'd like one of them to be something very minimalist, kind of like this: (Please excuse the blurriness and weird facial expressions. These were speed photos if there ever were any, and in bad lighting at that.) Then I'd like the second pair to be much more obvious - sort of Cool Artsy Nerd-style glasses. I'm thinking something sort of like one of these: (this one is clickable, although the quality of the larger version is not-so-good) Do you like any of them? Detest any of them? Talk to me! I'm ready to see things through your eyes. (grooooan) In keeping with today's blog post topic (in a weird sort of way) today's DAT was a photo I took a few weeks ago where I was messing with depth of field and wanting to keep just one very small portion of the photo in focus while the rest went a bit blurry. "One Sharp Edge" (also clickable)