Monday, November 20, 2006

The Balance Thing

One day last week I was visiting Suzie's blog and she'd posted the results of a test she'd taken that was supposed to give some insight into the state of a person's chakras. Ok, if I may take off on an immediate tangent here, I have to confess that a part of me wanted to cringe a teensy bit just then, when I typed "the state of a person's chakras." I was raised with a very conservative and traditional-for-this-region religious background, including many years of parochial school, and it's left me with the remnant of a Baptist preacher's voice living in my head. ACK! My current spiritual beliefs are miles away from the beliefs of the church in which I was raised, and that Inner Preacher is not my favorite part of my personality, to say the least. I've worked for YEARS to shove him out of there, but there he is, still hanging around and sneering at me at the oddest moments. Pardon me for a moment, while I stuff a sock in his mouth. NOW, as I was saying.... I read about this test on Suzie's blog and went to take it and found it interesting. Here's what it said: And here's a link to brief explanations of the results - too brief, in my opinion and I'm not sure I agree with all of it, but I agree to an extent. For instance, take a look at the two chakras it says are out of balance with me - under-active Root and over-active Third Eye. It says that someone with an under-active Root chakra will "tend to be fearful or nervous" and would "easily feel unwelcome." I don't think I'm particularly fearful or nervous at all, but I tend to agree about the part about easily feeling unwelcome. I know that's a big part of why I'm almost phobic about making phone calls is because I'm always 99% certain (with no logical reason for that certainty whatsoever!) that whoever I'm calling will consider it an annoying intrusion rather than being happy to hear from me. It goes on to say that when someone has an over-active Third Eye chakra they "may live in a world of fantasy too much. In excessive cases hallucinations are possible." Again, I'll go along with half of that. I DO tend to live inside my head too much and that's a fantasy world if there ever was one. (snort!) But hallucinations? Um...not so much. I also wish they gave a little more information about balancing those chakras that are out of whack, but on the other hand I'm sure that information is out there in other places. I can see enough truth in these test results that I think it may be worth checking out a book and reading more. Maybe this one that I've been hearing about on a few blogs. Balance is a Good Thing, yes? Then this past weekend I saw that Melba had taken the same test and posted her results and she's also added a word exercise. I'd fully intended to do that one too, but this has already gotten SO long that I think I'm going to save that for another day. (Sheesh, am I completely incapable of writing a short blog post???? It would appear so!) Anyway, on to the Daily Art Thang, which is a self-portrait today. It seems sort of silly to post a self-portrait on a Monday when I'm going to do a Glam SPC post tomorrow, but I took this photo a couple of weeks ago after buying a new hat and I liked how it turned out. Now I'm thinking about using it as a new blog profile pic because I'm already sick of looking at the one I've been using the past couple of months. Heh. So here it is, an UnGlam self-portrait, with no make-up except some lipstick, but a cute hat! :-) "Self-Portrait in a Hat" (clickable) PS...If the perspective looks a little odd, it's because I was lying down on the back deck railing when I took the photo. Sometimes I get the balance thing right. :-)