Saturday, November 18, 2006

20 Years Ago

Twenty years ago today - the 18th of November, 1986 - I went on a blind date. A woman I worked with kept telling me about some guy her husband worked with and how she thought we'd hit it off and wanted to introduce us. I was doubtful. Really doubtful. I resisted for weeks, but finally gave in and agreed (with many sighs and much rolling-of-the-eyes) to go to a little dinner party at her house and meet this person, although I was sure she was wrong, since every blind date I'd ever tried had been a disaster. On the surface, I should've been right. I came to Pat's house straight from work and I was stylin' in my red dress and red shoes, with my typically '80's Big Hair, along with saucer-sized earrings and bangle bracelets. I would've looked quite at home at most any yuppie dance club. He was a tall skinny guy with shaggy hair and a beard, wearing faded jeans, cowboy boots, and a flannel shirt. He looked like he should be hanging someplace with sawdust on the floor. And it wasn't just the look. We didn't really seem to have much in common. But there was sparkage, people! Definite and immediate flying of the sparks was going on that evening. The next day I told Pat "if he asks, give him my number." He did. She did. He called. A little over two years later, in February of 1989, I married that guy. Sometimes the blind date thing works. Go figure. Love you, J! Here's today's Daily Art Thang, which has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with the rest of this post. :-) "Berry Cluster" (clickable) Hhhmmm....Unless one wants to make something profound of how opposite the shiny red berries and the pointy green leaves are, yet how well they complement each other. Well. Maybe this photo has something to do with the rest of the post after all! HA!