Tuesday, September 19, 2006

SPC: With Someone, Week 3 - Amber

The September theme for the Self-Portrait Challenge is "With Someone" and the instructions are to "...include someone else in your self portrait. Someone meaningful to your life or to the moment or to a specific event that you wish to document." When I married Johnny, who comes from a large family (8 brothers and sisters!), I became an instant aunt, and even (gulp) a great-aunt to nieces and nephews ranging from young children to adults with kids of their own. But when my brother's oldest child, Amber, was born, that was the first time I got to know a niece or nephew right from the very first day they came into the world. I'd have adored Amber anyway, but it turns out we have a lot in common. She's an artist and a movie buff, and she loves cute shoes, sparkly jewelry, and other girly stuff. She's smart and adventurous, and she has a wicked sense of humor and likes to sing karaoke. I always have a great time around her (and her dad and brother!). So today I want to share a self-portrait collage of me with my niece, Amber. "Self-Portrait with Amber" From the top: Me holding Amber (and a teddy bear I bought for her) a couple of days after she was born, Christmas about a year and a half later, the results of Amber getting into my make-up bag and painting both our faces a few years later, the two of us at my house a couple of months ago. (Clickable if you want to see it larger in a new window) I'd love to do one of these with my nephew Josh too (my brother's younger child) but it's wicked hard to get a photo of him these days. I mostly have some great shots of his hand in front of his face and the back of his head. Ahem. You can find links to more self-portraits here.