Thursday, September 07, 2006

Poetry Thursday: Blue on Blue

The prompt at Poetry Thursday this week is Blue - the color, the mood, whatever blue means to us. One of the first things I thought of when I heard the prompt is the sky and flying, in particular the poem "High Flight" with its glorious phrase "Up, up the long delirious, burning blue" but I already posted that poem. My second thought was of Mary Oliver's poem "Blue Iris." And that's what I decided to share this week. I love this poem so much! I hope you like it too. Blue Iris Now that I'm free to be myself, who am I? Can't fly, can't run, and see how slowly I walk. Well, I think, I can read books. "What's that you're doing?" the green-headed fly shouts as it buzzes past. I close the book. Well, I can write down words, like these, softly. "What's that you're doing?" whispers the wind, pausing in a heap just outside the window. Give me a little time, I say back to its staring, silver face. It doesn't happen all of a sudden, you know. "Doesn't it?" says the wind, and breaks open, releasing distillation of blue iris. And my heart panics not to be, as I long to be, the empty, waiting, pure, speechless receptacle. ~~~Mary Oliver "Blue Iris Dream" (clickable if you want to see it larger in a new window)