Friday, September 15, 2006

It's Fashion-ating

I got this meme from Susannah who also asked to see a photo of what we were wearing 10 years ago. I can't find a single photo of me from 10 years ago in anything but jeans and a sweater or t-shirt (and not many of those photos) so I'm going to get in the WayBackMachine and share a photo from 20 years ago instead. It's funnier anyway. This was taken in November of 1986 just a few days after I met Johnny. I claim full responsibility for the outfit, but that is not and never was my butt-ugly sofa! (FWIW, it wasn't J's sofa either. It's in a university dorm lobby...long story.) What has been your biggest fashion indulgence? In terms of quantity, shoes and lingerie. In terms of really splurging on a single item, probably either my red suede cowboy boots, which I've worn until they're practically falling apart, or the champagne-colored silk evening dress that I bought early last year and have only worn once. It's not like I have an evening dress sort of lifestyle, but I fell in love with that dress and just had to have it. It's so Jean Harlow! See: What is your signature scent? Soap. I'm super-sensitive to artificial fragrances and can't wear perfume without choking. Back many years ago when I still could wear perfume (sigh...) I used to love Shalimar. What was your biggest fashion mistake? Letting people convince me during the last leggings-and-tunic fashion craze (that seems to be coming back....bah, humbug!) that someone with my figure could wear that look without appearing to be pregnant. So. NOT. True. And no, I'm not sharing a photo. What item(s) do you never travel without? A book, cell phone, dental floss, wintergreen TicTacs, a small powder compact, lipstick, sunglasses, a ponytail band to get my hair off my face and neck if it's driving me nuts. What was the last film you saw? Not sure how this relates to fashion, but what the heck. In the cinema: "Snakes on a Plane" At home on DVD: "Take the Lead" What beauty products do you swear by? John Freeda silkening creme to defrizz my hair, Neutrogena tinted moisturizer with sunscreen for a little help smoothing out my skin tone without feeling like full-out foundation (which I hate) What is on your iPod? I don't have an iPod. I know, shocking! Want to know what's even more shocking? I have absolutely no interest in getting one. I dunno, maybe I just don't know what I'm missing, but that's ok. If I don't know then I won't want to spend the money to get one. :-) What was the last item of clothing you bought? A pair of jeans. To be more specific, a pair of jeans that's already going out of style because they're a mid-rise boot-cut instead of a skinny-leg jean. But I love my mid-rise boot-cuts and I'm clinging to them for as long as I can find them in stores. HA! Where do you buy your lingerie? Sometimes Victoria's Secret. I like the way their "Body by Victoria" line fits. Sometimes Target. Their Gillian & O'Malley (??) line is very similar to the BbV line and waaaaay less expensive. And in an underwear emergency I'll buy it anyplace I have to, including the dreaded WalMart. And don't tell me you don't know what an underwear emergency is. If you've never had one you've lived way too sheltered a life. Which shop(s) couldn't you live without? Fashion-related you mean? None, really. I have good luck finding clothes at Target (and wish we had one closer to where I live). Locally I get quite a few things at a clothing store called Goody's. I like a few others too, but there's no particular one I'm super-loyal to. I tend to shop low-end for a lot of clothes because I get bored with them and I want stuff that's inexpensive enough that I don't feel guilty about getting rid of after a season or two, although I'll spring for nicer things if I expect to get several years wear out of them - things like boots and coats. Thanks, Susannah, that was fun, even if there was nothing at all high fashion about my answers! :-) DAT: "Streak of Gold" (clickable if you want to see it larger in a new window)