Sunday, September 03, 2006

Gather 'Round the Table

I saw this food-themed meme over at Fond of Snape and thought it was fun, so I just had to play along. How do you like your eggs? Deviled. Or scrambled. Maybe scrambled with some dill weed and Swiss cheese sprinkled on top. Or fried over-medium. Or in an omelet with lots of veggies. Or...oh, never mind. How do you take your coffee/tea? I like my first two cups of coffee in the morning to be tall, strong, black, and steaming hot. No frills, just mega-caffeine. If I drink any coffee later in the day I like to have frou-frou flavored coffees like vanilla-hazelnut with sugar and milk, either hot or iced. I like hot tea with a little sugar. (My favorites are English breakfast, Earl Grey, and Lady Grey.) I like iced tea either sweetened or plain - doesn't make much difference to me. Favorite breakfast foods: Cereal with fruit and milk, or yogurt topped with granola, or oatmeal with a little real maple syrup drizzled on it. Or I'll go clear to the other end of the spectrum and have something like a bacon-egg-and-cheese biscuit from McDonald's. I know, I know...SO bad! Peanut butter: smooth or crunchy? Preferably smooth. I'm more picky about brand than crunch and picky people pick Peter Pan peanut butter. What kind of dressing on your salad? Almost anything. I like to use a variety of dressings so I don't get bored with any of them. Coke or Pepsi? Coke when I drink it at all, which is extremely rarely. You're feeling lazy. What do you make? A bowl of cereal, if you want to call pouring milk over cereal "making" something. Or microwave popcorn. Or a scrambled egg. Or a grilled cheese if I have any bread in the house, which I quite often don't. (This is all assuming I'm feeding just myself. If there's anyone else in the house, I'll come up with something better than this even when I'm not in the mood because I'm not gonna hand someone else a bowl of cereal and call it "supper." I'm just not.) You're feeling really lazy. What kind of pizza do you order? Pepperoni, mushroom, onion, and green olive. You feel like cooking. What do you make? Do I really? How odd of me. Oh, I dunno, pasta maybe. Or I might bake a cake or something. I really think you're mistaken that I feel like cooking. Are you sure you don't mean I feel like going out to eat? Do any foods bring back good memories? Sure! Almost anything that's traditional US southern cooking reminds me of my mom and both grandmothers and is loaded with good memories - country ham and biscuits, pinto beans and corn bread, fried chicken and gravy, blackberry cobbler, peach crisp - stuff like that. Do any foods bring back bad memories? Um, yeah, but trust me when I say you don't want me to tell you why. Next! Do any foods remind you of someone? Steak makes me think of J. Chess pie makes me think of my dad. Is there a food you refuse to eat? Loads. I'm kind of picky. Off the top of my head - any and all organ meats, cabbage in any form, dill pickles, any sort of melon, bananas, and most root vegetables (I like potatoes - white or sweet - and carrots, but that's about it for me and roots). What was your favorite food as a child? Hhhmm, I'm not sure I had one thing that stood out as a favorite, except that I've always had a huge sweet tooth. Is there a food that you hated as a child but now love? Asparagus Is there a food that you loved as a child but now hate? Bananas, although it's not a matter of hating the taste. I developed an allergy to them in the past 20 years or so and if I eat them now the inside of my mouth swells up. That tends to make one feel a little hostile toward the food in question. Favorite fruit & vegetable: Raspberries and the formerly-hated asparagus Favorite junk food: If I'm in the mood for salty - tortilla chips and salsa. If I'm in the mood for sweet - just about any sort of homemade cookies. Favorite between meal snack: See previous answer. Sadly, if I want a snack, I probably want junk food, although I do like fruit a lot too. Do you have any weird food habits? Well they don't seem weird to me, but I have some habits other people seem to find weird. Like I detest putting tartar sauce on a fish sandwich but I love to dip French fries in tartar sauce. And I like to dip onion rings in bleu cheese salad dressing, although it isn't my favorite dressing to put on a salad. I don't particularly like to dip fries OR onion rings in ketchup. You're on a diet. What food(s) do you fill up on? I am? Damn, I hate when that happens. Salad. Fruit. You're off your diet. Now what would you like? Pizza and cake! How spicy do you order Indian/Thai? On a scale of 1 to 10, if 1 is like plain white rice and 10 is so loaded with spices it makes tears stream down your face, I like Indian or Thai food at about a 7. Can I get you a drink? I don't know, can you? May I get you a drink? Ok, thanks! I'll take a margarita, rocks, lots of salt. Unless I'm driving, then I'll take a tall glass of ice water with a slice of lemon or lime. Red wine or white? White please. Something not too sweet. We only have beer: Ugh, I hate beer. If beer is my only choice, I'll take an icy cold Shiner Hefeweizen and take small, polite sips and try not to grimace. Favorite dessert? Coconut cake. No, wait, coconut cream pie. No, key lime pie. No, no, white chocolate raspberry cheesecake. Or, ooh, how about chocolate rum cake. No, um...what was the question again? The perfect nightcap? I'll stick with Janet's answer - a kiss. Edited to add (based on Catherine's comment): US to UK/Aussie/Kiwi Translator cookie = biscuit biscuit = scone (savory, not sweet) fries = chips chips = crisps (I don't mean to leave out anyone from other countries, but I'm not sure what everyone calls these things. I just know these because my bestest bud is from NZ. Well, that and the fact that I like a lot of British TV and novels.) If you want to post your own answers to this meme, tell me so in comments and you can consider yourself officially tagged. Or you can bypass the Self-serve Meme Tag line and get in the Comment Express line if you just want to say hi. Today's DAT: "Caution" (clickable if you want to see it larger in a new window)