Wednesday, August 23, 2006

W is for...

Time for another WordPlay Personal Dictionary Entry! If you want to know more about how and why I started doing this series of posts, read my "A is for..." entry. If you want to see a list of more people doing the same thing, check out Laume's WordPlay site. Now here we go... W is for... Water - I have a Thing for water - love to look at it, love to be around it, love the feel of it (as long as I'm not in it over my head), love to ride around on it in boat or ship. I tend to feel my most peaceful when I'm within sight and sound of water. If you buy into astrology, that isn't too surprising - both my sun sign and moon sign are water signs. Oh yeah, and I drink water all day long too. Waterfalls - As much as I love water in general, I really love waterfalls. They call to me! I sort of "collect" them, meaning if I travel to anyplace that has a waterfall nearby I always try to make time to go see it, and watch and listen to it a little while, and take a photo or two. Wind - I love windy days too, all but the most violent of them anyway. The feel of the wind in my face and hair feels like Freedom to me. Is it a coincidence, I wonder, that my rising sign is an air sign? Hhhmmm... Wind chimes - I like these a lot too, and have more than one set, although I don't hang them all at once and I'm very picky about them. They must sound musical, not tinny! If the sound is the least bit flat I'm not interested. Walk - Something I do every day. As much as I hate exercise in general (and unfortunately I really DO!), I've gotten so used to walking every day that I really miss it if I skip a day. Writing - The first thing I ever remember wanting to do when I grew up was to be a writer. That was before I realized that drawing was faster and (for me) easier. But I've been discovering the past year or two that I still really love writing. Who'da thunk it! Williamsburg (Ohio) - The tiny river town in southwestern Ohio, where I grew up. Wisconsin - One of several states I've lived in throughout the years. I liked Wisconsin a lot during the five or six months when it wasn't winter. Willow (Rosenberg) - One of my favorite characters from "Buffy the Vampire Slayer", played by the extremely talented Alyson Hannigan. Willow (the tree) - One of my favorite trees. I like both the weeping and the corkscrew types. "Wicked" - One of my favorite-ever stage musicals. Werewolves - I confessed last week to enjoying vampire stories. I also enjoy a good werewolf tale. Or is that tail? (groooooan...sorry, I'm a pun addict) Some of my favorites include MaryJanice Davidson's Wyndham Werewolves series and Rebecca York's "... Moon" series. Wizards - I like wizard stories too, from Merlin, to Gandalf, to Harry Potter, to Diane Duane's teen wizards in her young adult series. Witches - Oh, come on, you knew this was coming, didn't you? Yep, I like witch stories too. One of my favorites is an old book (like from the 1930's or '40's) called "Conjure Wife." Wish - I think wishing with intent is a bit like praying, so I think wishes can be very powerful things. Wine - I'm pretty ignorant about wine, but I like it! I tend to go for white more often than red because I have some problems with red wine causing headaches, but I like them both. "Watchers" - The very first Dean Koontz book I ever read - the one that got me hooked on his books. Wife - One of my roles in life since J's and my Wedding more than 17 years ago. Woods - We have something like 70 - 80 acres of woods on our property and I love being surrounded by them. I love walking in them, especially in the Winter when the trees are bare and I can see the bones of the land. Words - I love words. I love to play with them and savor them. I want to stroke them, breathe them, toss them in the air and then roll around on them where they land. Winning - I love to win. But I hate to see others lose. For me, real winning is about victory over myself - doing better than I did another time or better than I thought I could do. That's the kind of winning that gives me joy. The kind that makes other people lose makes me a little sad. Whiny - Something I can be sometimes, although I try SO hard not to be because I really hate it when other people whine, so I sure as hell shouldn't do it myself!!! Weird - I'm that a lot too, but I don't usually mind being weird. Whimsy - A quality I appreciate (which is probably part of why I don't mind if people think I'm weird!) Wonderful, "Way cool", Well - W-words I say a lot. Wacky, Warble, Wander, Wonder, Wee - W-words I like. "W is for..." (clickable if you want to see it larger in a new window)