Tuesday, August 15, 2006

SPC: Enclosed Spaces, Week 3

This marks the halfway point of the August theme of Enclosed Paces in the Self-Portrait Challenge. Last week I did a Photoshopped fantasy shot, so this weekend we're back to reality (whatever that is). Those of you who have known me for a while may remember that I go to the Markey Cancer Center once a year to do a stint as a human lab rat. This past Thursday was the day I made the trek to Lexington to let the nice lab tech make artsy images of my ovaries. I really dislike elevators and will normally avoid them if I don't have to go up or down more than a few flights of stairs, but since we're doing self-portraits in enclosed spaces this month, I decided to ride up in the elevator of the medical building and take a photo. The doors were mirrored and I forgot to turn off the flash, but in the end I liked the shot. The light from the flash obscures the camera almost entirely so that you can't really see what's in my hands and I think the effect is almost SciFi looking - like Scotty is about to beam me right out of that claustrophobia-inducing steel box. Sounds like a great idea to me! "Energize"