Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Self-Portrait Challenge: Self-Portrait as the Queen of Hearts

For July, the Self-Portrait Challenge is to create a weekly "Self-Portrait as ______" and we're supposed to fill in the blank with pretty much anything. This week I'm continuing to hang out in FantasyLand and decided to put myself on a playing card - specifically on the Queen of Hearts. "Queen of Hearts" (clickable if you want to see it larger in a new window) "Q of H: close-up" For people who like to hear how these things are done, I started with a photo of an actual playing card and a photo of me. I reset size and resolution in both pics so that the size of my face matched the size of the face in the card. Then I removed the color from my photo, posterized it (a filter in Photoshop that reduces things to basic shapes), and boosted the contrast until it was a black and white image - no shades of gray at all. (I might have been able to achieve the same thing using the stamp tool, but I didn't think of it until later.) Then I used the eye dropper tool to set my "paint" color to the same blue ink used in the card and turned the black parts of my photo to dark blue. I then drew a mask around just my face and moved it over onto the card twice - once for either end, rotating it as needed. Then it was just a matter of doing a little clean-up work on some lines and TaDaaa! I'm a playing card! In case you haven't figured it out yet, I'm having entirely Too Much FUN with this theme! In fact, I'm having so much fun that I may do some more of the ideas on the RSR readers' suggestion list after the challenge is over and post them as Daily Art Thangs, just for fun. (No prizes on those if I do, I'm afraid. I wish I could keep giving away stuff past the challenge month, but I'd go broke! But you know I'll post another contest at some point.) Speaking of prizes, this week's idea was suggested by Di. Congrats, Di! I can't find an email addy for you, but if you'll contact me with your snail mail addy and let me know if you'd rather have a 4" x 6" fabric postcard or an 8" x 10" print of one of my art photos, I'll get your prize in the mail soon. (My contact info can be found in my sidebar or on my profile page.) One more week to go, y'all and I've already chosen something for next week. In fact I've finished the photo and I had a blast doing it. So check back next week and take a look at my final fantasy SP for the month. I wonder what next month's theme will be. Hhhmmm...