Thursday, July 20, 2006

Poetry Thursday: Not Tonight, Dear

This week the (CATO) prompt at Poetry Thursday is to share a poem about sex. As so often happens, I thought it was a cool idea, BUT...Oh, come on, you KNEW there was going to be a "but", didn't you? I'm having a week where I'm super-busy, and also having some physical problems that are causing me to not sleep well at all. My reaction at the moment to even thinking about sex, never mind trying to write about it was pretty much "Not tonight, Dear. If you touch me I may have to kill you. Mwah! Mwah!" (Those were air kisses from across the room, in case that wasn't clear. Heh.) So maybe I'll choose to revisit the prompt in a more enthusiastic way another week. Meanwhile, I felt sure the immortal Ms. Parker would have something to say on this topic that would suit my rather grumpy mood and she didn't let me down. General Review of the Sex Situation Woman wants monogamy; Man delights in novelty. Love is woman's moon and sun; Man has other forms of fun. Woman lives but in her lord; Count to ten, and man is bored. With this the gist and sum of it, What earthly good can come of it? ~~~Dorothy Parker Thank you, Ms. Parker. We will hope for better things from Ms. Richardson this time next week. "Inner World" (clickable if you want to see it larger in a new window)