Wednesday, June 28, 2006

O is for...

Time for another WordPlay Personal Dictionary Entry! If you want to know more about how and why I started doing this series of posts, read my "A is for..." entry. If you want to see a list of more people doing the same thing, check out Laume's WordPlay site. Now here we go... O is for... Ocean - I love to look at it. I love to listen to it. I love to smell it. I love to put my feet in it. I love to ride in boats on it. I used to think I'd like to live by it, but after renting a beach house a time or two I'm not so sure about that anymore. (I'm tellin' ya, you find sand in places you never knew sand could go!) But I still think it would be cool to live within sight of it or at least close enough to drive to it easily. Ohio - The state where I was born and the state that ties with Kentucky for the place I've lived the longest. Oranges, Olives, Oatmeal, Oatmeal cookies, Onion Rings (extra crispy!), Oysters (cooked ones!) - O-foods I like. Orange - A color I like a lot. Oz - I've always liked watching Dorothy's adventures in Oz. And of course it's a nickname for Australia, where I'd love to visit. Olympus - I'm a huge fan of Olympus cameras. I'm currently on my second Olympus digital and my second Olympus film camera (not that I use the film one much anymore). Oak - One of my very favorite types of trees. Odd - A word that has been used to describe me. :-) Also I prefer odd numbers to even numbers. I don't know why. I just do. Optimistic - That would be me! Not only do I think the proverbial glass is half-full, I think I see someone headed this way with a refill pitcher. Obstinate - That would be me also, at least sometimes. Most of the time I'm pretty easy-going and willing to compromise, but now and then when I really have my mind and heart set on something, you might as well try to change the mind of a rock. Occult - A topic that interests me. Oldest (child) - Me again! Overachiever - Some people would say this describes me too, but I think the word "overachiever" is an Oxymoron. If we're taught from earliest childhood to do our best and to be all we can be, and we try to do that, then I think whatever things we achieve are just that - achievements. I don't think it's possible to "over" achieve, unless the lesson we're really trying to teach children is "do your best unless your best is too good and makes other people feel bad, and in that case you should try not to do so well." I think that would be a ridiculous thing to teach! So I'd like to see the word overachiever disappear from common usage. Oodles, Ouch, Oh well - O-stuff I say a lot. Outstanding, Outrageous - O-words I like. "O is for..." (clickable if you want to see it larger in a new window)