Wednesday, June 21, 2006

N is for...

Time for another WordPlay Personal Dictionary Entry! If you want to know more about how and why I started doing this series of posts, read my "A is for..." entry. If you want to see a list of more people doing the same thing, check out Laume's WordPlay site. Now here we go... N is for... Nature - I need to connect with it pretty regularly or I start getting stressed out and mean. Nail Polish - Ooooh, shiny! Pretty colors! I almost never polish my finger nails (not because I don't like the look of polished finger nails, but because I just can't keep it on my hands), but my toe nails are nearly always polished. Nectarines, Nachos - Some N-foods I like. New Zealand - Where my friend Morven lives and someplace I'd really love to visit. Night Owl - That would be me. Left to my own internal clock, with no obligations and no one else to consider, I'd stay up most of the night and sleep away most of the morning. (My compromise, since I DO have other considerations, is to stay up until around 1:00 - 2:00 am most nights and then sleep until 8:00 - 9:00 am or so.) Normal - A myth I keep hearing about, but have never actually seen firsthand. My theory is that there really is no "normal" as most people mean the word. There's only an infinite variety of "quirky" and when you find a flavor of quirk that comes close to matching your own personal quirkiness, it feels normal. Numbers - Evil tricksy things that are supposed to line up and behave in logical predictable ways, but never seem to do so for me. I get along much better with Words than with Numbers. Nine - My Life Path Number, if you're into Numerology. Nuclear - Something that, sadly, I can pronounce much better than the so-called leader of this country. Novels - Love them! I suppose I proved that by moving well over 1000 books in the past few days (twice! once out, once back in!), most of which are novels. Also, I once wrote a bad-ish novel for the NaNoWriMo challenge, just to see if I could. Nice - A bland, annoyingly-overused word for what is really a rather, well, NICE concept. According to Mr. Merriam and Mr. Webster, Nice means "pleasing, agreeable, kind." I'd like to hope I am those things as often as I can be without compromising who I am. Naughty - On the other hand, being Naughty can sometimes be more fun. :-) Now! - When I want things. Heh. I sometimes consider options and possibilities for AGES before I make a decision about what I want. But once the decision is made, my patience for delayed gratification is almost Nil. I really should work on that. Ahem. "Never - say Never" is a motto to live by. Sometimes I forget and say I'll "never" do something, but I really try not to say that too often or too seriously because I've found the Universe has a very off-the-wall sense of humor and declaring "Never" too often or too seriously seems to tempt said Universe to reply "Oh really? Well, let's see about that!" North Carolina - J and I lived there briefly and we still have friends there. Also I love to visit the Outer Banks area. "North by Northwest" - I love Cary Grant. I love Alfred Hitchcock movies. Combine the two and it just doesn't get much better. They did several good movies together, but this is one of my favorites. Nap - Honestly, I'm not much of a napper. But every now and then it's just the perfect, comforting, refreshing thing to do. Nicknames - I'm a NicknameNut when it comes to animals. Every pet I've ever had has had at least 2 or 3 names in addition to their real name, sometimes more. Nasty, Numbnuts, "Never Mind" (that last one said in my best Emily Litella voice) - N-stuff I say with some frequency. (Numbnuts is one of my Nicknames for my cat.) Nebulous, Numinous, Naked, Nurturing, Nimbus, Nascent - N-words I like! "N is for..." (clickable if you want to see it larger in a new window)