Monday, May 15, 2006

Random Items from the Junk Drawer of my Mind #17

Comments on Comments Thank you to everyone who commented about my ThursdayFromHell, including the compliments about the new floor. For those who were curious, it's a cherry finish and it's one of the floating laminate thingies rather than real hardwood. We originally wanted hardwood but after doing some research we decided that the Pergo-ish stuff would actually fit our lifestyle better. One of our deciding factors (believe it or not) is that it's the same stuff that our vet used in his lobby when he built a new clinic a few years ago and his still looks great. We figured if it looked that good with all the animals parading through there, it should be able to hold up to our 3 dogs, 1 cat, and us! We love the way it looks, so if it holds up for a decent number of years we'll be happy with the decision. The thing I wanted to photograph along our driveway was a honey locust tree in bloom and my mammogram is rescheduled for this week. Fingers crossed that the day goes better this time! My Weekend Visit We didn't get much sleep, but we had a great time! I love where I live in some ways - I mean I love the actual property we live on and I like our house. But sometimes I feel like I miss a lot by being the most far-flung member of my immediate family. My brother and sister live within 10 - 15 minutes of each other and my dad is only maybe 15 minutes farther away than that and here I am an hour an a half from any of them. So I don't get to see them as often as I'd like, but it's always fun when I do. Oh well, no whining, at least I'm within driving distance! Friday we had pizza and rather a lot of wine. I'm not much of a drinker, so when I have rather a lot of wine, I end up doing things like this: Yep, that's me, my brother, and my sister and we're singing karaoke. I'm sure we sounded great! Ahem. Saturday Sandy and Andy (her hubby) and I met a group of their friends for lunch and a movie. We went to see "Poseidon" which is pretty much exactly what you'd expect - a big bunch of action sequences and special effects strung together by something that almost resembles a story if you bite your lip, squint, and tilt your head a bit. It was surprisingly short and I wish they'd added a few more minutes to the beginning of the story so we'd get to know the characters a little more before they flung them headlong into disaster. The pre-disaster part of the "story" was so brief that they might as well have just skipped that part altogether and simply had them wear t-shirts saying "Overbearing Father", "Loner with a Heart of Gold", "Precocious and Somewhat Annoying Child", and so forth and so on, and we'd have known just about as much about them as we did from the first 10 or 15 minutes of the movie. But still, it was pretty suspenseful in several parts (and the parts that weren't were good for post-movie snarky commentary), so for a Saturday matinee, it was fun. Afterward Sandy and I went book shopping. Because I NEED more books. I DO. Shut up. I Do and I Don't It's a meme, courtesy of Misty. (This is what I was originally going to post Saturday but since I couldn't manage 'puter time, I'll include it here.) I do like to sing. I don't usually like to listen to the radio. I do love many "girly" things like shoes, make-up, jewelry, and pretty clothes. I don't like ruffles, lace, perfume, or the color pink (unless it's a flower). I do respond to email...eventually. I don't make phone calls if I can possibly avoid it. I do love the water. I don't swim. I do like coconut in sweets. I don't like coconut in savory foods. I do weigh more than society says I should. I don't really care as long as I feel good. (which I do!) I do walk every day. Even though... I don't like to exercise. I do love spending time with my extended family. I don't do that often enough. I do believe in more than I can see and touch, and that our souls go on in some form after we die. I don't participate in organized religion. I do love to laugh, even in times when it may not be the best response. I don't like to cry, even in times when it's probably a healthy release. I do love me some memes! I don't like to tag specific people. .....So if you'd like to post your own version of this, say so in comments and you can consider yourself "officially" tagged. Ye Olde Dailey Arte Thange Today's DAT is two different versions of a pale peony, just starting to open. One in color: "Unfolding" And one not: "Unfolding 2"