Sunday, April 16, 2006

Random Items from the Junk Drawer of my Mind #13

1. I think I'm going to try something new (new-to-me, that is!) in responding to comments. Usually when I respond (which I do quite often!), I respond via email. But sometimes comments don't get forwarded to my email account, even though in theory I have my Blogger account set to do that. And even when I get the emails, so many people have their profiles set to anonymous or no-reply that even when they ask a question I often can't find an email address where I can respond. I really like how Cate handles comments on her blog, The Bean Counter (which you should all check out if you aren't reading it already, because she's a wonderful writer!). She responds to comments within the comments section itself, treating it almost like a mini-message board. I'm going to try that for a while, starting with yesterday's post (so if you commented yesterday, pull the comment box back up for my replies - please and thank you!). That's not to say I'll never-ever respond via email if I think a more private response is called for, but it means I can answer questions for people who have their profiles set to "no-reply" if they care to check back, and it means I won't be cluttering up people's inboxes with "thanks for the comment" emails. We'll see how it goes. I'd be curious what regular readers of RSR think of that system after trying it for a few days. 2. A liquor store is not someplace where I tend to make impulse buys, but a while back I did. I saw some little bottles near the checkout and thought they looked interesting. One said "Tequila Rose Java" and one said "Tequila Rose Cocoa". They were only ~$1 each so I bought one of each, stuck them in the fridge, and forgot them. Ahem. Last night I noticed them again and decided to try the Cocoa one, which I kind of thought might be a bit like Bailey's. I love Bailey's. Well, turns out this stuff is nothing at ALL like Bailey's. Here's what the label says: What, you can't read it you say? Um, yeah. For some reason I thought it would be a good idea to put the bottle (the size of an airline booze bottle) on the scanner instead of taking a photo. I thought it would be quicker and easier. That's what I get for thinking. Here's what it says: "Tequila Rose Cocoa Cream: The passionate combination of strawberry and chocolate cream liqueur with a splash of tequila." Here's what I thought it tasted like, told in Haiku: A melted mound of Neapolitan ice cream mixed with cheap booze. Ick. Gee, I can hardly wait to try the Java one. 3. I had something in mind to say about quizzes, but this has gotten weirdly long for what it is, so I'll save it for another day. 4. This is another Serviceberry photo: "Serviceberry Blossoms 2"