Saturday, January 21, 2006

Curses! Foiled Again!

I'm feeling a wee teensy bit bummed this weekend. (Cue sad violin music) You see I was supposed to go away for a couple of days and have a Girly Time Weekend with a couple of friends. We were going to go to fabric stores and bookstores (yes, bookstoreS...plural...I have a LIST, dammit!). We were going to see "Memoirs of a Geisha". We were going to play with Bev's new toy - a long arm quilting machine (oooooh!). We were going to eat too much, and drink too much, and laugh a lot (not laugh "too much" because there's no such thing). But at the last minute a problem came up for one of my friends and we had to cancel. It was nothing serious in a long term sense, everything will be fine in a few days. But in the short term it was something that made it impossible to have our Girly Time this weekend. So I'm home instead. Now don't get me wrong, I LIKE being home. It's truly one of my favorite places to be. But still, I'm bummed. It's like having your heart set on a fabulous gooey dessert at your favorite restaurant only to have the server tell you that they sold the last serving 5 minutes before you ordered. Nuttin' much in the ultimate scheme of things, sure, and no doubt better for your figure, but disappointing nonetheless. We're hoping to reschedule Girly Time very, very soon, so fingers crossed that it works out. But in the meantime it makes me feel better to have just the teeeeensiest bit of a whine about my disappointment. 'kay? 'kay! So, onward... (End violin music) Since yesterday was absolutely gorgeous - freakishly gorgeous for January in Kentucky in fact...it felt more like late April! - J and I spent about an hour in the afternoon taking another nice long ramble through the woods. You'll no doubt see many more pics as time goes by. Hey! I see you trying to sneak out there in the back! Get BACK here! You'll LIKE them. You WILL! Hmph. But for today I had to show you this: It's a dead tree that's fallen partly over the path and there's a wild grapevine on it and check out the bizarrely rectangular shape they've made! I took the above photo so that you could get some perspective by seeing J and a couple of the dogs on the path below, but here's a close-up: "WildWood Frame" I LOVE the lines of the intersecting branches and vines. They almost look to me like an oriental language character...like the shape should have meaning. This is going in my "quilt ideas" folder. One of these days I suppose I should actually MAKE something from my quilt ideas folder, yes? Um, yeah. FWIW, I did TOUCH fabric this week. In fact I did a little cutting, sewing, and fusing, starting what was intended to be a small project. But it's not to be. I hate it. It reeks. It sucks rocks. Loudly. I definitely need a Plan B on this one. Stay tuned.