Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Blogthings Snafu and Great Quotes Deck

First of all, I want to say sorry to anyone who tried to do the "What Color Should Your Blog Be?" quiz yesterday and then couldn't get results. It worked when I did it last week (obviously!) but this past weekend they updated the Blogthings website and one thing they changed was to add that bit to the end of each quiz where they customize the code depending on where you plan to post it. Somehow they've messed up the blog color quiz when they did that. I'd email the webmaster and tell him-or-her if I could find contact info on the site, but so far no joy. Anyway.... On to other things. I've been working on my postcards for the AQ web ring fiber postcard swap, but it's against the swap rules to post in-progress photos. Hopefully I can have them finished and mailed before the week is out. Actually, I could probably have them finished today, but I'm dithering a bit about whether I want to back them with fabric or paper, and whether I want to make up a story of not. Decision, decisions... Yesterday was a Good Mail day because I got my Famous Quotes Deck in the mail! This was a collaborative deck project I did a while back. Long-time readers of RSR may remember when I posted a photo of my card for the deck. At last the deadline arrived and our lovely hostess, Red Dog, swapped the artwork and mailed them out. This deck is WONDERFUL. Seriously. This is the third collaborative project I've done with this group, with the first two being the Characters in Literature Tarot Deck and the Secrets Deck. The thought that goes into these cards by the artists and the quality of the artwork itself is just stunning. I'm so glad I participated in these! There are 44 cards by 44 artists, so it was very difficult to narrow it down to just a few to share, but I finally managed to decide on 10 cards that really spoke to me in terms of both the quote chosen and the artwork used to portray the quote. Here they are, with the artists' names listed below the cards and the quotes themselves listed below that. (Some of them are easily readable on the card photo, but others aren't, so I'll just type them all out to be sure.) Enjoy! Cards by: Teresa Bailey and Fast Eyes Quotes: (left) The voyage of discovery is not in seeking new landscapes but in having new eyes. - Marcel Proust (right) A photograph is a secret about a secret. The more it tells you the less you know. - Diane Arbus Cards by: Misty Frederick and Michele Jackson Quotes: (left) Think like a Queen! A queen is not afraid to fail. Failure is a stepping stone on the way to greatness. - Oprah Winfrey (right) You, yourself, as much as anybody in the entire universe, deserve your love and affection. - Buddha Card by: Jean Hutter Quote: Even with the best of maps and instruments, we can never fully chart our journey. - Gail Pool Cards by: Marina Lenzino and Pat Pleacher Quotes: (left) Those who don't believe in magic will never find it. (source not listed) (right) To invent, you need a good imagination...and a pile of junk. - Thomas Edison Cards by: Suzanne Reynolds and Lunaea Weatherstone Quotes: (left) The longest journey of any person is the journey inward. - Dag Hammarskjold (right) Can you imagine a world without men? No crime and lots of fat, happy women! - Nicole Hollander, "Sylvia" Card by: Sally Anne Stephen Quote: There are nights when the wolves are silent and only the moon howls. - George Carlin