Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Hey, That Sewing Machine Thing Still Works After All!

It took until nearly dark to get rid of the stoooopid headache, but at least it wasn't one of those multi-day horrors. By the time I felt better I wasn't inclined to get into any sort of major project, but I was determined I wasn't going to let yet another day go by without doing SOMETHING creative, however small. I've been really avoiding doing any studio work the past few days as I wait for exactly the "right" idea to come along. Well the hell with that. I'm tired of listening to my inner critic. If I can't come up with a good idea, I'll just do a bad one. HA! So here was the challenge I set for myself --- Remember I said I took some color study photos on my walk yesterday? I decided to do a tiny (4 x 6") fabric "sketch" based on one of them, a photo of a sprig of butterfly weed that I stuck into the branches of a cedar tree. The catch was that I wasn't allowed to look at the photo before I started. I wanted it to be my quick and dirty impression of my memory of the photo, not of the literal photo itself, in an effort to tell my perfectionist side to shut up for a while. The end result isn't great art, but it doesn't totally suck rocks and it was fun to do. And I did the whole thing in about an hour and still get to post this and go to bed by midnight. Yay me! :-) So here are the pics below, of my fabric sketch and the photo it's based on. I wish I'd remembered that leaf sticking up through the center of the flower. That's cool! I did remember that the background would probably be more "accurate" if I made it dark instead of blue, but I wanted blue, so there. Here's hoping it shakes something loose. But if not, I'll think of another Shut Up The Critic Idea tomorrow.