Saturday, July 30, 2005

Blather

Despite Michelle's excellent suggestion, I saw no resemblance between any of the Richardson household dust bunnies and any famous people, living or dead, and I'm not a good enough sculptor to fake it, so I figured auctioning them off on eBay was out. Instead, I ended up spending a big hunk of yesterday on boring household chores like sweeping, mopping, dusting, laundry, and cooking. Bleah. I did one small design sketch I liked and pulled a bunch of fabrics, so I hope to make a start on that later today, after I go to town and have new tires put on the car. (Oh joy....NOT) No photos yet, but hopefully I can show you something soon. About the quilt I mean, not the tires. I finished a book last night --- "Chill of Fear" by Kay Hooper. This is the latest in a series of mysteries she's written featuring an FBI unit that specializes in the paranormal. My only quarrel with this book was I thought Ms. Hooper spent a bit too much time explaining and/or justifying her characters' special abilities. My feeling is that if you're reading a book about a paranormal investigative team you either a) already believe in that stuff or b) are willing to suspend disbelief for the sake of a good story. So stop trying to convince me they can do what they're doing and just tell me the story already! Other than that I really liked it and there were some parts of it I hadn't figured out before the end, which is great. I love it when an author can surprise me! I've finished a few other books since my last mini-review, but haven't mentioned them because I thought they weren't anything too exciting. Not terrible or anything, just not "ooh baby, you have to read this" books. And after finishing the Hooper book, I started reading a book of essays called "Finding Serenity", about the Joss Whedon series "Firefly". I've only read one so far, but it looks interesting. Obviously nothing too exciting to report from Gobbler Knob today, so I'll shut up and let you all get back to your lives. Oh yeah! One more thing! I tried Debra's "time waster" (which I'd call a visual logic puzzle) again this morning, and managed to solve level 7 with a score of 1334 before giving up on level 8. WooHoooo! What can I say? I'm easily amused. :-)