Tuesday, April 19, 2005

My Favorite Room

Diane, Leader of the Artful Quilters Web Ring asked the group What is your favorite room in your house? Why? I hate to be so obvious, but it's true...my favorite room is my studio, which is also my 'puter room/library. It's what I would call my Favorite Things Room. It has my sewing table, cutting table, fabric stash, threads. It has assorted other art supplies, like paints, brushes, glue, collected paper ephemera for collage. It has floor-to-ceiling bookshelves on two walls, which contain both a great fiction collection and some inspiration books. The book shelves are where I set up my design "wall" too. I have brackets where I hang a largish piece of flannel from a rod right over the bookshelves. It has a jewelry armoire that used to belong to my mother, that now houses my beads and beading supplies and most of my Tarot card collection. It has the 'puter desk, my link to the outside world beyond rural Kentucky. And it has fun things on the walls, from my "idea board" (a bulletin board next to the desk, where I stick things that inspire me), to various quilts, antique ads, and other artwork on the walls...some things I've made, some things I've bought or been given as gifts. When my husband, or the dogs or cat come looking for me, this is always the first room they check. There are other rooms in the house that are larger, or more attractive, but this room is my favorite because it's just so very me. I said weeks ago I'd post a better pic of "Octopus Garden", the quilt Laume made for me, and since it ties into the Favorite Room theme, here's a pic of her wonderful quilt hanging above my 'puter desk. Click on it if you want to see a close-up of the quilt. "Octopus Garden" by Laume Zekas