Friday, April 15, 2005

The Book Meme

The other day I followed a link from Manolo to end up at Suburban Housewife, where one of the things I found and enjoyed reading was a Book Meme. So I blatantly stole it. HA! So here, with only minor Debification, is the Book Meme. You're stuck inside Fahrenheit 451, which book would you want to be? I've never read Fahrenheit 451. It always sounded depressing and I'm not into depressing. But I know the general idea of the plot --- a future where books are outlawed and burned because they are thought to give people ideas which cause unhappiness and dissatisfaction, and people here and there to try to hold onto contraband books and try to memorize them so the stories they contain can be saved until a day when books may be allowed again. (At least I think I have that more-or-less right!) So I'm assuming, right or wrong, that this question is asking which book I would choose if I was responsible for saving one story from extinction. I think I would choose Replay by Ken Grimwood. It's not considered any great work of literature, but I figure there would be plenty of people trying to save better-known books. And Replay is one of those books that, the first time I read it, I finished it and sat there and said "Wow!". And I've read it several times since and still have the "wow" reaction. Have you ever had a crush on a fictional character? Of course! Hasn't everyone?? I've had crushes on lots of fictional characters, but one of the earliest I can think of was Calvin from A Wrinkle In Time, by Madeleine L'Engle. I loved the way he saw past Meg's surliness and geekiness to the woman she would become. The last book you bought is: gods in Alabama, by Joshilyn Jackson The last book you read: gods in Alabama! And it was FABULOUS!! I'll be reading it again!! What are you currently reading? The Serpent in the Crown, by Elizabeth Peters. It's the latest in the Amelia Peabody series. I normally love those books, but must confess I'm finding this one a little slow. Five books you would take on a desert island (assume for this list that you won't need any survival manuals or anything...your five books are luxury items to comfort you!): This is sooooo hard. I could easily pick fifty and not feel like I'd gotten all my favorites. But ok, I'm going to pick five and try not to think about the rest. (sigh) 1. Replay by Ken Grimwood (pretty much have to pick that one after my answer to question one!!) 2. Ingathering by Zenna Henderson --- a list of all her "People" short stories gathered in one place. 3. The Anubis Gates by Tim Powers --- another "wow" book for me. 4. Lightning by Dean Koontz --- "wow" 5. Summer of the Dragon by Elizabeth Peters --- my favorite book she's written under the E.P. pseudonym...pure fluff, but great fun Aaaarrrrggghhh....I just can't tell you how I'm wailing as I think of so many others I want on that list. Ok....calm down, Deb, it's not real.... Who are you going to pass this stick to (3 people) and why? Nobody, because that feels too "chain letter-y". But if anyone wants to steal it from me, with or without your own additions, I'd love it if you'd post a comment telling me you did, so I can go read your answers. I love to hear what books other people enjoy!