Thursday, March 10, 2005

Shoe Self-Portraits

Since I keep talking about the damn things, and since I think I have time to squeeze in one last blog entry before I toddle off to bed, I thought I'd go ahead and post the infamous Shoe Self-Portraits. It all started one afternoon in the Viking Crown Lounge. The VCL is the highest public area on the Rhapsody of the Seas. It's round and multi-level, and has lots of windows and great views. It also has a way-cool stained glass obelisk as one of its art pieces on display. I want one of these for my house! Check it out. By night the VCL is a disco, but by day it's one of the quietest places in the ship. It is, in fact, designated as an official Quiet Zone during certain hours of the day, so that those who want to relax and read, or do a crossword puzzle, or people watch without the noise and bustle of calypso music, or bellyflop contests, or line-dancing demonstrations can hide away there in a calm aerie. Being someone who REALLY values my quiet time, it was one of my favorite afternoon spots. One day, as I was sitting there with my book, feeling fat and lazy, I propped my feet up on the railing in front of me. I was wearing the beaded sandals I'd bought in Key West and there were my relaxed-looking toesies against a backdrop of busy ship and calm, deep, blue ocean and I thought "Hey! PhotoOp!" So I whipped out the camera and took this pic. That gave me the idea for a series of Shoe Self-Portraits. "Hey!" thought I, "I could take pics of my feet all over the ship! Wouldn't that be fun?" What can I say, I'm easily amused. So here are some more, for those of you who are as easily amused as I. :-) I took this one on the pool deck when I realized the pink umbrella in my pina colada JUST matched the pink umbrellas on my capri pants. Life is in the details. Those shoes, BTW, are the ones that were rubbing the bottoms of my feet, thus prompting the shoe-shopping-mission in Key West. Thank you, Black Slides. I was wearing these sequin mules when I went to the onboard internet cafe and propped my foot on a railing. See the ship parked next door? It was about 3 stories higher than the one I was on. I wanted to tour it! I propped my JudyJetsonGymShoe-clad foot on J's chair for this picture. Doesn't he look thrilled? Well, doesn't he?? (Just so you know, I had on ankle socks. My legs are white, but not THAT white.) This is the first of two "formal" portraits. I ordered these beaded, champagne gold silk mules from Hong Kong to go with my champagne gold silk dress. (I'll show you the actual outfit later.) And this is the other...the beaded, black satin mules with the kitten heel that I ordered from Zappos to wear with my beaded top and long black velvet skirt. I took this pic in the ladies room outside the theater because I thought the floor was pretty. You can't see the beadiness of the shoe that well, but that's ok. I just had to include the pattern on that floor! So hey...wasn't that fun, kids?! Wanna do it again sometime? All right!